Family Nurse Practitioner Curriculum

Course Listing

Biostatistics for Evidence Based Practice
The focus of this course is the understanding of biostatistics for application to nursing and evidence-based practice. Emphasis is placed on the interpretation of, and appraisal of, data analyses for the selection and use of best evidence for making practical conclusions about empirical data.

Advanced Physiology and Pathophysiology

Theoretical Basis for Clinical Reasoning
This course examines the theoretical underpinnings of evidence-based practice. Emphasis is placed on applying a range of theories from nursing and related fields for the provision of high quality health care.

Health Care Policy
This course guides students in exploring political, economical, ethical, and social forces that currently impact decision making in health care. Patterns of influence that drive current policy development are examined and proposal of advocacy behaviors is encouraged.

Advanced Health Assessment
Develops the knowledge and skills necessary for the performance of a comprehensive health assessment. Synthesis of data including diagnostic study interpretation is emphasized.

Pharmacology for Advanced Nursing Practice
This course prepares nurses for professional roles in advanced nursing practice with knowledge of pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic principles of common drug categories used to prevent illness and to restore and maintain health for client systems across the lifespan. Mechanisms of action, pharmacologic response, usual doses, adverse effects, indications, interactions, compatibilities, contraindications and routes of administration will be emphasized in acute and chronic conditions. Six hours of legal, ethical and financial content related to prescribing is addressed in this course as required by the Ohio Board of Nursing.

The Care of Well Women and Children
This course focuses on the care of well women and children across the lifespan. It prepares students to assume professional practice roles and responsibilities in health promotion, health maintenance and management of common health pattern variations pertaining to gynecological and primary care of well women and children. Emphasis is on family-centered, community based health care for diverse client systems.

Family Nurse Practitioner: Practicum I

Family Nurse Practitioner: Seminar I

Research and Best Evidence for Clinical Reasoning
This course is designed to assist the graduate student to develop knowledge and skills needed for the application of research findings to evidence- based practice and advanced nursing practice. Emphasis is placed on the analysis and application of quantitative and qualitative research methods, directed at risk reduction and health promotion.

Differential Diagnosis for the Advanced Practice Nurse
This course is the second sequential course that explores the comprehensive physical and psychological assessment of signs, symptoms, and pathophysiological changes of the client system across the lifespan. The focus of the course is to develop diagnostic reasoning skill through analysis of present and past histories, physical findings, and diagnostic studies that contribute to the formulation of differential diagnoses of the major health problems in the United States. The client is assessed from a holistic nursing perspective with consideration of his/her cultural, social, ethnic, family, and community environments.

Family Nurse Practitioner: Practicum II

Family Nurse Practitioner: Seminar II and Capstone
Culminating experience in which one of three foci are selected: (1) integration of research findings into practice with evaluation of client system outcomes; or (2) evaluation of current nursing practice through examination of relevant client system clinical outcomes; or (3) description of new knowledge with potential for enhancing nursing practice.

Clinical Management I

Family Nurse Practitioner:Practicum III

Family Nurse Practitioner: Seminar III and Capstone

Clinical Management II

Course Curriculum

Please click here to view the Semester Schema.

Tags:

Post A Question or Comment

nine − = 4

Learn More

Comments

• Sonja said:

I am not very familiar with the quarter system. Based upon the curriculum listed above, is this considered to be a full-time course of study or is this considered to be a part-time course of study? Could you post the two for comparison (i.e. part-time = # credits per quarter, full-time = # credits per quarter)? Thank you.

• Administrator said:

Hi Sonja, thank you for your inquiry. We are currently enrolling for the Fall 2012 Term. This term will actually be a part of the semester transition. Please click here to view the semester curriculum. This program requires a full-time coursework commitment by taking courses according to the prescribed course of study. We do want to clarify that the program can be considered part-time in financial aid terms due to the number of credit hours taken per term. If you have any additional questions, please contact an Enrollment Advisor at 866-225-6764 or info@nursingonline.uc.edu.

• Tiffany said:

There are 42 lab hours for the family nurse practitioner. Where are these to take place?

• Lisa Schuepp said:

Tiffany, great question! The lab hours are associated with the health assessment course, and the hours are completed in your local area.

• Joy said:

Are students able to complete their clinical hours i their home town?

• Joy, the clinicals are done in your local area. The student is responsible to secure the preceptor and the clinical site.

• Alexis said:

Is there a post masters fnp option?

• Hello, Alexis, we do not currently offer a post graduate certificate program via distance learning. Thanks.

• Michelle said:

Hi there, I am trying to learn the lingo for the FNP program…so after completing this course will I have to go somewhere else to receive the FNP certificate? or will graduation from this program be all that is necessary for sitting for my FNP Georgia Boards? Thanks so much

• Hello Michelle, upon completion of our program, you should be able to sit for the board certification. For clarification, please check with your state board to see if there is anything else that must be done to meet the requirements for your state.

• Mary said:

I am wondering if you are still accepting applications for the fall 2012 term. I know that the classes fill up fast and wanted to make sure. I am also wondering if you prefer open-ended letters of recommendation or if there is a pre-made form for the references to fill out. Thanks!

• Hello Mary, we are still accepting applications for the FALL 2012 term. The deadline is 6/1/12, but if you are interested I recommend you apply as soon as you can as the term may close before the deadline. Your Enrollment Advisor, Monica, can assist you regarding what references are needed. Feel free to call her at (866) 225-6764.

• toni said:

I have a medical degree from an accredited university outside the US and it has been evaluated as equivalent to that of the US. Some of the courses in the FNP course , I have already taken. Will those credits transfer?

• Hello, Toni. We do accept transfer credits. However, you have to be accepted into the program before your transfer credits will be considered.

• Denise Franklin said:

I see that you are transitioning from quaters to semesters, and there ar 6 semesters, does that mean the prgram is longer than 2 yrs total?

• Hello Denise, the program is still designed to be completed in 2 years. For additional information on the schema for FALL 2012, please call your Enrollment Advisor, Lakeshia, at (866) 225-6764 extension 646.

• Julie Marsh said:

I am attempting to fill out onlibne distance learning application for the fall FNP program, using both internet explorer AND firefox, I am not offered a choice of campus. only option there is main campus and it cannot be unchecked. How do I proceed? Thanks, Julie

• Julie, please call our office and one of our Enrollment Advisors will try to assist you.

• Braeden said:

What exactly are the practicums? Are they done on campus?

• Braeden, the practicums are not done on campus; they are done in your local area. Please call our office for a more detailed explanation of the clinical requirements at (866) 225-6764.

• Elizabeth Clark said:

How does the part time curriculum work? I don’t see any posted part time plans?

• Hello Elizabeth, we do not offer a part-time option in our MSN programs. For further details, please call your Enrollment Advisor, Monica, at (866) 225-6764 x469.

• How does the seminars work?? Online or campus based???

• Esther our program is completely online aside from the clinical component. Our semesters are 14 weeks long. For additional information please call our admissions office at (866) 225-6764.

• Vera said:

Is it possible to have an RN License in New Mexico but do the FNP Preceptorship in California or Nevada?

Thanks.

• Hello Vera, typically nurses can do the clinical hours in any state where you hold an active RN license. If you are licensed in California or Nevada you can consider doing your clinical hours in those states provided there are no restrictions from the state’s nursing board. Please call our office at (866) 225-6764 for further assistance.

• S.Boyd said:

I will be completing a BSN program in May 2012. Can I submit an application now? I currently have an ADN.

• Sheronda, yes, you are able to apply prior to the completion of your BSN program. We are currently accepting applications for the Fall 2012 and Spring 2013 semesters. Please contact an Enrollment Advisor at 866-225-6764 for additional details.

• Jessica said:

I was interested in applying for the online FNP program for the Fall 2012 term. The deadline says that it is June 1,2012, but states that it may close early. Are you still accepting applications for this term?
    Also, I have a question regarding the required statistics course. It states in the requirements that it has to be within the past 5 years, but I took this course in undergrad in the Fall of 2006 and I received an A for the course. I really don’t want to have to retake this course, would it possibly be accepted since it has been 51/2 years vs. 5 years?

• Hello Jessica, the fall term has closed and we are now accepting applications for spring 2013. Regarding your statistics course, if you apply to our program you can use the course you have already completed. The department will advise if there is anything else needed. If you have additional questions, please contact us at (866) 225-6764.

• Selena said:

Is it possible to work full time and be in the FNP program?

• Hi Selena, most of our nurses work full time while completing the program. For additional details, please contact an Enrollment Advisor at (866) 225-6764.

• Ammie said:

Do you accept graduate nursing credits from other institutions?

• Hi Ammie! Please click here to view the transfer credit policy. If you have any questions, please contact an Enrollment Advisor at 866-225-6764.

• Christine said:

I already have my Master’s in Nursing, do any of these classes overlap or do I have to take all of these classes in addition to what I have already completed?

• Karisma said:

Hi Christine, thank you for your inquiry. If you already have an MSN, many of the classes overlap which may not be beneficial in your case. I would recommend considering a Post-Master’s Certificate. UC offers this option on campus. Please click here for more details. Please feel free to contact me at 866-225-6764.

• Susan said:

Do you ever accept candidates for the FNP program that have completed a BS in Biology and an ADN? I have both degrees and have taught in an ADN program for 10 years now. I have a strong interest in the FNP program, but the thought of completing and paying for another BS degree in the physical sciences is very frustrating. Any suggestions? Thank you.

• Karisma said:

Hi Susan, we do require a Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree conferred from a regionally and nursing (NLNAC or CCNE) accredited institution. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at 866-225-6764.

• golda bailey said:

I was reading the other comment, to which the administrator stated that Fall 2012 enrollment is closed and they are not accepting application for Spring 2013? Is this true, and if so could you please include the Spring 2013 ciriculum for me to view. And if it is not too late to enroll for Fall 2012, please let me know as I was planning on submitting my application today for Fall 2012.
    Thanks.Golda

• golda bailey said:

I was reading the other comment, to which the administrator stated that Fall 2012 enrollment is closed and they are nowaccepting application for Spring 2013? Is this true, and if so could you please include the Spring 2013 ciriculum for me to view.
    Thanks.Golda

• Hi Golda, yes we are currently enrolling for spring 2013. The spring 2013 FNP curriculum will be the same as fall 2012. Please click here to view the curriculum. Please feel free to contact me with any questions at 866-225-6764.

• Krista said:

I am finishing my BSN now and want to persue a masters degree. I have 3 small children and have to work at least 2 days a week. Do you think that the MSN is do-able with all these other commitments?

• Hi Krista, many of our students work and have other obligations. Please contact your Enrollment Advisor, Monica Lam, at (866) 225-6764 ext. 5082 for further information.

• vera said:

Is it possible to complete the FNP program in 3 terms: Spring Summer Fall?

• Hi Vera! The FNP program can be completed in as little as 2 years/6 semesters. Each semester is 14 weeks long and students are required to take the 2-4 courses prescribed for each term. Please contact an advisor for further details at 866-225-6764.

• Lisa said:

How do I find eligible preceptors in Central Florida. Is there an application process for the practitioners I already know?

• Hi Lisa! A Program Manager and Clinical Site Coordinator, members of our support team, can assist you with resources to help you locate preceptors in your area. We would encourage you to work with individuals you already know or have networked with in the past to make the process more seamless. Please contact an advisor for more details at 866-225-6764.

• Stephanie said:

I am interested in speaking with an Academic Advisor. How can I get connected with an Advisor that can assist me with the application process?

• Stacey said:

I am very interested in starting online FNP or Adult NP program in the fall. Did I miss the deadline? Are all the classes offered online?

• Hi Stacey, thank you for your inquiry. The application deadline for fall 2012 has passed. We are currently accepting applications for the FNP specialty for spring 2013 until 10/1/12. We are currently accepting applications for the ANP specialty for summer 2013 until 2/1/13. Due to the high demand for these two programs, our terms fill up rather quickly. For additional information, please contact an Enrollment Advisor at 866-225-6764.

• Brandon said:

I have been looking at various MSN – family nurse practitioner programs…I came across something that is a bit concerning…I noticed the large majority of practitioner programs are changing to only DNP and doing away with their MSN. I also noticed that new grad NPs will have to have DNP degree starting in 2015 and a master’s level education will not be enough to gain NP certification. Existing NPs with a master’s degree will keep their NP certification, which does not help me as I am just looking into this now…I was definitely looking at your program and thinking the spring semester 2013…that would have me graduating in 2015…I would have my MSN, but according to everything I’ve read, would be unable to “sit” for my boards to get certified as a nurse practitioner. Is this correct?

• Hi Brandon, thank you for your inquiry. We are currently offering our MSN program and do not have plans to transition it to a DNP at this time. Please contact your State Board of Nursing regarding their specific requirements. For additional information, please contact an Enrollment Advisor at 866-225-6764.

• Kat Hammond said:

I was looking at your ANP program and was wondering if accepted into the Spring 2013 program, would it still be a master’s degree or a Ph.D program?

• Kat, thank you for your inquiry. At this time, the spring 2013 term for ANP is closed. We are currently accepting applications for the summer 2013 term until 2/11/13. The degree offered is an MSN. If you have any additional questions, please contact an Enrollment Advisor at 866-225-6764.

• Favor said:

Can students from other states pay resident tuition this being an online program

• Hi Favor, thank you for your inquiry. Our non-resident tuition is currently $15 more per credit hour than our resident tuition. Please click here to view the current tuition and fee schedule. If you have additional questions, please contact an Enrollment Advisor at 866-225-6764.

• Favor said:

When is the deadline for Spring 13 applications?

• Kristin said:

If I want to do travel nursing during the first half of the program, would that work out?

• Hi Kristin! For our Family Nurse Practitioner and Adult Nurse Practitioner programs, clinicals do not begin until the 2nd year of study. Please contact an Enrollment Advisor if you would like to discuss the program details further at 866-225-6764.

• Courtney said:

Are there any times that students are required to come to Cincinnati?

• Hi! Our online master’s program does not require any visits to campus. Coursework is completed 100% online and clinicals are conducted in your community with a preceptor. Please contact an Enrollment Advisor at 866-225-6764 for additional details.

• rebecca said:

What is the current pass rate for the family NP program at UC?

• Julia said:

How many credits can you transfer from another graduate program? I will have credit hours from my current graduate program. If the courses are equivalent, are you able to accept that many credits? I am FNP.

• Hi Julia, thank you for your continued interest in our programs. Courses are considered for transfer credit once a student is matriculated into the program. Please click here to view our policy. For more information please contact Lakeshia Hamilton, your EA, at (866) 225-6764 Ext. 5111

• Macy Millikan said:

In order to finish the program in the minimum time possible, do you have to begin the program in a certain semester (Fall, Spring, or Summer)?

• Hi Macy, we are currently accepting applications for the summer and fall terms. You can complete the program in as few ad 2 years if you stay on track, regardless when you start the program. If you have additional questions, please contact an Enrollment Advisor at (866) 225-6764.

• Renee said:

Hello,
    I am a NY resident. Is your online FNP and ANP available to NY nurses?

• Hi Renee, as a result of state boards of nursing and the DOE Higher Education regulation changes, the University of Cincinnati College of Nursing will no longer be accepting applications for our distance learning MSN program from students residing in the following states: Alabama, Massachusetts, Minnesota, and New York. This change is effective as of June 25, 2012. If you have any questions, please contact an Enrollment Advisor at (866) 225-6764.

• Commander Shawn Armes said:

Do you have a part time program for the online Family Nurse Practitioner program?

• Hi Commander Shawn Armes. Our program is considered part–time, but we do recommend investing 25-30 hours per week on coursework. Please contact an Enrollment Advisor at 866-225-6764 for more information.

• Brittany said:

How do-able is it to work full time while attending your FNP program since there is no part-time school option?

• Hi Brittany, our program is considered part-time, but we do recommend spending 25-30 hours/week on coursework. Please contact an Enrollment Advisor to discuss your specific situation at 866-225-6764.

• Mark said:

I currently have an MSN in Nursing Education. Do you have a post master’s FNP option?

• Hi Mark, at this time we only offer Post-Master’s Certificates online. Please click here for more details. If you have any additional questions, please contact an Enrollment Advisor at 866-225-6764.

• Tara Harrington said:

Why are you not accepting applicants from New York? And I am moving to New Jersey in 3 weeks will you accept me if I am licensed and live there?

• Hi Tara. Due to issues associated with authorization costs and the timeline/complexity of the application processes at both the state and nursing levels, the College of Nursing at the University of Cincinnati has identified the states from which we are no longer able to accept further students. These states are Minnesota, Alabama, New York, Arkansas, Oregon, Maryland and Massachusetts. Please contact an Enrollment Advisor for more details at 866-225-6764.

• Nicole said:

I’m in another fnp in 2nd semester clinical half way but need to drop. Can I apply for spring 2013 for 2nd semester in clinical?

• Hi Nicole. Transfer students must take at least 50% of the coursework from UC in order to obtain the degree from UC. For your unique case, please contact an enrollment advisor at 866-225-6764

• Maria said:

When is the spring 2013 term going to start?

• Hi Maria, the spring 2013 term will begin on January 7th. Please click here to view the academic calendar. If you have any additional questions, please contact an Enrollment Advisor at 866-225-6764.

• Jessica said:

Is there a specific GPA upon entering the program? Also, is the GRE a requirement for admission? Thank You!

• Hi Jessica. Thank you for your interest. The GRE is not required for admission. We prefer a 3.0 GPA or above. For more admissions details, please contact an enrollment advisor at 866-225-6764.

• mindi said:

I have a masters in nursing what would I need for FNp?

• Hi Mindi, please click here to view the admissions requirements. You can also contact an Enrollment Advisor for more details at 866-225-6764.

• Melissa Coulter said:

Is it too late to apply for the upcoming spring semester for adult nurse practitioner?

• Hi Melissa, please click here to view our application deadlines. If you have additional questions, please contact an Enrollment Advisor at 866-225-6764.

• Samantha said:

I am interested in the FNP program. I will not complete my BSN until the end of summer semester of 2013. If I want to start the FNP program in Fall 2013, what date should I apply by and am I allowed to apply if I have not completed my BSN yet?

• Hi Samantha, your BSN must be conferred by the start of classes. Please contact an Enrollment Advisor at 866-225-6764 for more information.

• Is the summer 2013 FNP program still taking applications?

• Hi, please click here to view the academic deadlines. Please contact an Enrollment Advisor for more details at 866-225-6764.

• Samantha said:

I will graduate with my BSN after this summer semster (2013). If I want to start the FNP program Fall of 2013 when do I have to apply by, and is it okay if I apply and have not yet finished my BSN?
    Thanks!

• Hi Samantha, You can apply before graduation, but your BSN would need to complete before classes begin. Please click here to view the academic calendar. You may also contact an Enrollment Advisor for more details at 866-225-6764.

• Jenny said:

How long would it take to get a dual masters in FNP/Women’s Health NP? Also, I will be graduating this May (2013) with a BSN am I eligible to apply?

• Cindie Riedinger said:

Are you still accepting FNP application for Fall 2013. I see the deadline is March 1, but I know your program fills quickly. Thank you!

• Hi Cindie, please click here to view the current academic calendar. If you have additional questions, please contact an Enrollment Advisor at 866-225-6764.

• Gil Ocampo said:

Do you have the curriculum for the Fall 2013? If so, when are the admission and registration dates for Fall 2013? Thank you.

• Hi Gil, the curriculum for the FNP program has been updated above. Please click here to view the application deadlines. If you have additional questions, please contact an Enrollment Advisor at 866-225-6764.

Comments Feed