Admissions Requirements

Applications for the Master of Science in Nursing program are accepted year-round. Applicants will be reviewed for admission on the strength of their ability to successfully complete graduate studies, and based upon the criteria listed below.

To be eligible for admission to the program, applicants must fulfill the following requirements:

• University of Cincinnati graduate school online application.
  • College of Nursing Pre-Registration Packet.
  • Official transcripts from all institutions attended.
  • Minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.00 on a 4.00 scale for the last degree earned. (A comparable level of achievement is expected for other grading systems.)
  • Current RN license.
  • Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree conferred from a regionally and ACEN (formerly NLNAC) or CCNE accredited institution.
  • Three letters of reference.
  • Personal goal statement.
  • Professional resume.
  • Completion of an undergraduate statistics course with a grade of “C” or better.
  • For Nurse-Midwifery: One year experience in maternal/child nursing (preferably in labor and delivery) including gynecology, pediatrics, NICU, newborn nursery and postpartum.
  • For Nurse Practitioner/Adult-Gero Clinical Nurse Specialist: one year or more of work experience in nursing is preferred, but not required.

Sorry, but due to clinical regulations, only applicants with access to facilities in the 50 United States or U.S. military bases will be considered for admission.

Please note that as a result of state boards of nursing and the DOE Higher Education regulation changes, the University of Cincinnati College of Nursing will no longer be accepting applications for our distance learning MSN program from students residing in the following states: Massachusetts, Minnesota, New York (effective as of June 25, 2012), Louisiana (Nurse-Midwifery distance learning program only, effective as of October 17, 2012), Oregon (effective as of December 18, 2012), Tennessee, and District of Columbia (effective as of May 9, 2013).

Tags: ,

Post A Question or Comment

9 − = seven

Learn More

Comments

• Debbie Leahy said:

I’m interested in the MSN program. I have an ADN in Nursing with 22 years of ICU experience. I will be completing my BS in Christian Counseling in the coming months. Am I eligible to be considered for admission without a BS in Nursing?

• Pamela Bush said:

Debbie, congratulations on the pursuit of your BS in Christian Counseling. The UC College of Nursing requires an active U.S. RN license and a BSN degree from a regionally and nursing accredited institution. If you would like additional information, please contact an Enrollment Advisor at 866-225-6764 or info@nursingonline.uc.edu.

• Adelaide Cassel said:

I want to take a single Advanced Pharmacology class. Is this possible to take only one class. Answer much appreciated. Thank you

• Veronica Olivo said:

Hi Adelaide,
      Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, we do not offer classes for non-degree seeking students. You must be fully enrolled in a distance learning program in order to register for classes. An Enrollment Advisor will be happy to help you with additional questions at 866-225-6764 or info@nursingonline.uc.edu.
      Veronica

• Sandy said:

In my BSN program I took a research course that was considered the statistics component. Would I have to take the statistics course over again?

• Pamela Bush said:

Hi Sandy! We would need to review a copy of your transcript and the course description to determine if the class that you took meets the program’s statistics requirement. Please contact an Enrollment Advisor at 866-225-6764 or info@nursingonline.uc.edu to discuss this further.

• Sarah Tuttle said:

I have not taken a statistics course. Can I still be considered for admission and take the stats course at UC prior to starting the MSN program, or must I take the course independently at another university?

• Pamela Bush said:

Hi Sarah! You will need to take a statistics course prior to admission into the MSN program independently. You are, however, able to apply before completing the statistics course. For additional information, please contact an Enrollment Advisor at 866-225-6764.

• Leslie K. said:

Hi, I am interested in pursuing an online MSN NP degree with a mental health focus. I received my BSN 5 years ago and statistics was not required. I have worked in the mental health field over 10 years. Can I still be considered for your NP program? Thanks in advance .

• Pamela Bush said:

Leslie, thanks for your inquiry. You are apply to apply for the Psych NP specialty, however, you will need to complete a statistics course prior to admission into the program. For further details, please contact an Enrollment Advisor at 866-225-6764 or info@nursingonline.uc.edu.

• jane said:

Is there a time limit on the statistics course? Who do I contact to see if the course I took counts towards the admissions requirements?
    Thanks

• Pamela Bush said:

Hello Jane, an Enrollment Advisor will be happy to assist you regarding what statistics courses meet the admissions requirements. They can be reached at 866-225-6764 or info@nursingonline.uc.edu. We look forward to speaking to you!

• Jay L. said:

Hello,
    I am a working RN currently completing an RN-BSN degree. I am enrolled in my final quarter of coursework and I am scheduled to graduate in April. Am I able to apply to UC’s FNP program before a BSN degree is conferred, or must I wait until after graduation to begin the application process?
    Thanks,
    Jay

• Pamela Bush said:

Jay, thank you for your interest. You are able to apply prior to the completion of your BSN program. You will have to provide all your transcripts including your current BSN transcript. Upon acceptance into our program you must provide a copy of your conferred degree prior to the start of classes or you will not be able to begin program.

• veronica jennings said:

Completing my last RN TO BSN nursing class this December but need to complete Chemistry to graduate, will finish chemistry by May 2012, can I apply to the WHNP program before May to start in the Fall of 2012.

• Veronica, you are to apply prior to completing your BSN. However, if you are accepted, your BSN degree must be conferred before you will be allowed to start the program. Feel free to call your Enrollment Advisor Lakeshia at (866) 225-6764 for further clarification.

• Jennifer Burnham said:

Hello- I am planning on applying for the fall semester. I took a Statistics class prior to starting my BSN which will be completed in April. Is there any specifc requirement of the Statistics course? Or just the grade requirement?

• Pamela Bush said:

Jennifer, great to hear that you plan on applying to the Fall term. We require that you take a statistics course from a regionally accredited school and you obtain a C or better in the class.

• I just started a new position in L and D. I have critical care experience but have been in Labor and Delivery for one month. I saw the criteria to be considered for Midwifery is one year experience. Do you ever make exceptions for enrollment ? I work full time and have a two year old -do you ever make this part time ? I see its two years and some places divide the classes out to make three years? if not is this managable for a full time person?

• Hello, Allison, that is a great question. Please call me at (866) 225-6764, and I will be able to clarify the requirements for you. Thanks!

• Michael said:

I have not completed an undergraduate course in statistics (required for NP/CNS), however I do hold a BSN and Master in Health Administration from an accredited university and completed a graduate statistics course. Will this course satisfy the requirement for successful completion of an undergraduate statistics course? Thank you.

• Hello, Michael, yes you can use your graduate statistics course to meet the admission requirements. However, you will not be able to seek transfer credit for that class as well. Thanks!

• Sara walther said:

I am a practicing Geriatric NP, and would like to take only Adult portion of the program, to enable me to sit for the Adult NP certification test, is this possible with your program?

• Hello, Sara, thank you for your interest. We do not offer an option for non-matriculated students. I am sorry we cannot assist you.

• Michelle T said:

Do you have a GPA requirement? I have a BSN and plan on applying to your fall semester. How manageable is your full time class with two children at home (2 and 4 yrs)? Thank You

• Pamela Bush said:

Hello Michelle our GPA requirement is 3.0 or higher. The program is designed to be finished in 2 years. If you have any additional questions please call me at (866) 225-6764.

• Amy Herbst said:

Is there a maximum number of students that are accepted each time? Also, is there an average GPA that you are looking for?

• Amy Herbst said:

I should have read all the posts before I asked about the GPA requirements, sorry. Another question though, can the program be completed faster than 2 years? I am about to graduate from an accelerated BSN program where the classes are 8 weeks long. I am used to that pace now, and was wondering how the classes worked.

• Hello Amy, the program is designed to be completed in 2 years. We do not have an accelerated option. Typically students take 2-3 classes per semesters.

• We do not have a set number of students we accept. However, we review completed admission files as they come in, so once the department determines they have enough qualified students the term will be closed. For more detailed questions, feel free to call your Enrollment Advisor at (866) 225-6764.

• Jhoana Miguel said:

I have an MSN major in Clinical Nurse Leader but I am interested in getting an Adult NP degree. Do I still need to take the MSN courses or this can be offered as Post MS? Thank you!

• Hello Jhoana, since you already have an MSN degree, we recommend you pursue a post graduate certificate program. Unfortunately, though, we do not currently offer post grad certificate programs online at UC.

• Jaime Weisheit said:

I am interested in starting the ANP program this Fall 2012. I do not live in Cincinnati, so I wanted to know if the program completely online or would I be required to come to campus. I was also wondering what the application deadline was?

• Hello Jaime, there are no campus visits required for our program. The current application deadline is 6/1/12.

• karen said:

I have a FL license and many years ago had an OH license. To do the distance learning for NP am I required to secure my OH license again?

• Karen, you do not have to obtain an Ohio license. You will do the clinicals in the state in which you are licensed. Additionally you are responsible for securing the preceptor and the clinical site.

• Kim k said:

I have been a nurse for 13 years. I just completed my BSN degree with a 3.9 GPA. Do you have to have a certain cummulative GPA or a BSN GPA to be accepted?

• Hello Kim, we require a GPA of 3.0 or higher and a BSN degree from a regionally and nursing accredited school. Please call your Enrollment Advisor, Lisa, at (866) 225-6764 x650 for additional admission requirements.

• Jamie Bolden said:

Is a 3.0 required for a WHNP program?

• Hello Jamie, a GPA of 3.0 or higher is needed for all of our MSN programs.

• Jin Kwak said:

Hi,
    I live in South Korea where the US military- based facilities are accessible. I am wondering if I am admissible to UC according to your clinical regulations. FYI, I have BSN and CA license. Thank you.

• Hello Jin, it appears you may be admissible but for clarification please call our admissions office at (866) 225-6764, and we will be glad to answer your specific questions.

• Lauren Searcy said:

Does a psychology statistics class meet your requirements for an undergraduate statistics class? Thank you.

• Lauren, we will have to see a course description to give you a better idea if it will be accepted. Please call our office at (866) 225-6764 for further assistance.

• Nina said:

Is there a GRE or MAT requirement? Are the semesters listed on your academic calendar Fall, Spring, and Summer?

• Hello Nina, we do not require a grad exam for admission. Our semesters are as you stated. For additional question please call our admissions office at (866) 225-6764.

• Nicole said:

I am interested in the FNP program. I did not take a statisitics course during my undergrad. Can I apply for the fall if I take this required course this summer?

Thanks,
    Nicole

• Hello Nicole, you can apply to our program as long as you show proof that you are enrolled in a statistics course and provide the transcript showing the passing grade before the start of classes. If you have any additional questions please contact us at (866) 225-6764 for further assistance.

• elizabeth said:

I am currently working on my RN/BSN. Can I apply for admission prior to recieving my RN license and BSN?

• Hello Elizabeth, yes, you can apply prior to the completion of your BSN program. We are currently accepting applications for the Fall 2012 and Spring 2013 semesters. Please contact an Enrollment Advisor at 866-225-6764 for additional details.

• Cindy Ceynar said:

I am gearing up to return to school to pursue a graduate nursing degree, hopefully beginning this coming fall. I am absolutely delighted to see the CNS/Nurse Educator program that you offer – I’m sold!!! I live and practice in Texas. When I did my BSN online in 2003-4, I took a medical Spanish course, but I retained very little of it because I did not use it a lot on the job. In this part of Texas, we have a large Hispanic presence. I would like to take at least 2 semesters of Spanish in my graduate program, if not more, because I will be much more marketable, not to mention that I will feel much better being able to communicate well with my Hispanic patients. Does U of C offer a comprehensive Spanish course that I would be able to take along with my nursing curriculum online?? Thank you!

Cindy C.

• Hi Cindy, thank you for your inquiry. We do not offer Spanish courses as a part of our CNS/NE curriculum. Please contact an Enrollment Advisor at (866) 225-6764 for additional program details.

• LIsa said:

I am currently in the Nursing Administration grad program at UC that completes 8/12. I want to obtain a Post-Master’s Certificate in FNP. I have majority of my classes complete, what is my next step?

• Hi Lisa, we are happy to hear the you are part of our Nursing Administration program. At this time, we offer a FNP Post-Master’s Certificate on-campus. Please click here for additional information.

• Olga said:

Does the university provide forms for the references or is a free standing letter ok? From whom should the references come from? I currently work in home health the are no master level nurses where I work and I completed undergrad so long ago, that asking an instructor wouldn’t work either.

• Pamela Bush said:

Hello Olga, the references are completed electronically through the online graduate application portal. A formal letter is not needed. You should select personal and professional references that will show you in your best light. Family members and coworkers are not recommended.

• Jamie said:

Is the WHNP program for Fall 2012 full?

• Hi Jamie! We are currently accepting applications for fall 2012 until June 1st. An advisor is available to help with the admissions process. They can be reached at 866-225-6764.

• Susan Devine said:

Can you tell me what is happening with the PMHNP program? I am interested in applying for 2013. Thank you.

• Susan, thank you for your inquiry. This program is on hold due to changing certifications with the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC). The Psychiatric NP certification exam will no longer be offered after April 2014. The new certification exam to be offered beginning in 2013 is for the Family Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner. There is currently no estimated term/semester for the revision of the Psychiatric Mental Health NP specialty as the Family Psychiatric Mental Health NP specialty. At this time, UC does offer 6 distance learning specialty options that you can choose from. Please click here to view these specialties. If you have additional questions, please contact an Enrollment Advisor at 866-225-6764.

• Eboni McGuire said:

I am interested in the FNP program. I know that statistics is a requirement, however it was in the fall of 2005 that I took stats. I was wondering if that would be accepted, or would I need to take it again? Thanks!

• Hi Eboni! We usually accept statistics from 2005, however, we need to verify the course that was taken. Please contact your Enrollment Advisor, Monica, at (866) 225-6764 ext. 5082 for further information.

• Amirah said:

What is the GPA requirement for the program? I don’t see it here.

• Hi Amirah, we have a minimum GPA requirement of 3.0 to be eligible to apply. Please feel free to contact an Enrollment Advisor for more details at 866-225-6764.

• Lisa E said:

My undergraduate GPA is less than a 3.0 due to a poor semester that ruined my cumulative GPA. Do you make exceptions or can you take the GRE for a GPA less than 3.0? Thank you very much for your time.

• Lisa, UC requires a cumulative GPA of 3.0 for all MSN programs. Please contact your Enrollment Advisor, LaKeshia Hamilton, at (866) 225-6764 ext. 5111 for further information.

• cindy said:

I am interested in applying for the FNP program online. I have a BSN and have been a med-surg staff nurse in multiple areas for 12 years. My undergrad cumulative GPA is 2.6. I have a C in statistics. Would I be eligible for the program?

• Cindy, thanks for your inquiry. The UC MSN program requires a cumulative GPA of 3.0 for admission. Please contact an Enrollment Advisor for more details at (866) 225-6764.

• Heather said:

I am interested in the nurse midwifery track. I have my BSN and have worked ICU for 5 years. I have volunteered at a midwife center through high school and part of college but have not done ob/children as a nurse. Can I still be considered for admission?

• Hi Heather, thank you for your inquiry. We do have specific requirements regarding work experience for the Nurse-Midwifery specialty. Please contact your Enrollment Advisor, LaKeshia Hamilton at (866) 225-6764 for more details.

• Nicole said:

Have you ever taken applicant’s who’s GPA did not meet the requirements? I noticed the requirement stated 3.0 is highly preferred.

• Hi Nicole! Due to the competitiveness of the UC MSN program, all applicants are encouraged to have a minimum GPA of 3.0 for consideration. Please contact an Enrollment Advisor for more information at 866-225-6764.

• Manny said:

I’m interested in your online Adult Nurse Practitioner and Nursing Administration program. Is your program on a full time and part time basis ? Do you offer financial aid for online programs ? thanks

• The online MSN program is a part-time program, but it does require a full-time commitment due to course content. Federal student loans are available for those who qualify. Please contact an advisor for additional details at 866-225-6764.

• ARI said:

My native language is not English. Should I take a test for English like TOEFL or IELTS?

• Hi Ari, thank you for your inquiry. Please contact an Enrollment Advisor at 866-225-6764 to discuss TOEFL requirements. Please note that due to clinical regulations, only applicants with access to facilities in the 50 United States or U.S. military bases will be considered for admission.

• Jennifer said:

I have a BSN and work in pediatric and neonatal critical care. I would like to apply for the CNS program and I noticed the mention of the GPA requirement being 3.0. Prior to pursuing nursing, years before I started college out of highschool and did not do great (understatement). Nearly a decade later I returned to college after much growing up and did well in nursing school with a nursing GPA around 3.5 unfortunately my overall GPA calculating in the coursework done when I was younger gives me about a 2.8, will this make me ineligible for admission or can I provide a statement and a separately calculated nursing GPA? I was on the deans list and inducted into Sigma Theta Tau during nursing school but work completed at a much younger age is damaging my GPA.

• Hi Jennifer, thank you for your inquiry. The admissions requirement regarding GPA is a Minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.00 on a 4.00 scale for the last degree earned. (A comparable level of achievement is expected for other grading systems.) An Enrollment Advisor would be happy to discuss your academic history and answer any questions you may have. They can be reached at 866.225.6764.

• Christie said:

I am currently enrolled in an RN (ADN) program but also have a B.S. which I obtained prior to going back for an RN. I have all prerequisites necessary and statistics. I had an 2.8 in my first degree and have a 3.3 in my current degree. Can I be considered for the program with and RN and B.S that is nonnursing? I would really like to apply for the FNP program. Thanks so much!

• Hi Christine! A Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree conferred from a regionally and nursing (NLNAC or CCNE) accredited institution is required for admission in to the MSN program. Please contact an Enrollment Advisor with additional questions at 866-225-6764.

• Michelle said:

Hello, what term are you accepting applications to the APN program for at this time? Thanks, I look forward to applying!

• Hi Michelle, please click here to view the academic calendar including upcoming deadline dates. If you have additional questions, please contact an Enrollment Advisor at 866-225-6764.

• Jamie B. said:

How will I be notified of denial or acceptance?

• Hi Jamie, you will be notified via mail or email in regards to the director’s decision on your application. You may also contact your Enrollment Advisor for additional information at 866.225.6764.

• Danielle said:

I am considering applying for your program. I am in my final year of a BSN program. I completed statistics and it was accepted as a transfer credit. Is it acceptable to just send the transcript from the university that I will be receiving my degree from or do I need a transcript from where I took the statistics class as well?

• Hi Danielle, in order for your application to be considered complete, we will need transcripts from every post-secondary institution you have attended. Please contact an Enrollment Advisor for more details at 866-225-6764.

• Michael said:

What is the approximate cost of the FNP & ANP program and is the GRE or GMAT required? Thank you.

• Hi Michael, please click here to view tuition information. No, we do require the GRE or GMAT for admissions. Please contact an Enrollment Advisor for more details at 866.225.6764.

• Tara said:

I am intrested in the online FNP program. I would be intrested in starting on January. I have just received my BSN but have been an RN for 14 years. I graduated in the first BSN class at the college I attended. They are in the candidacy stage of accredidation. Would I be able to apply for admission.

• Hi Tara, thank you for your inquiry. Your degree must be accredited through the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) or National League of Nursing (NLN) at the time of applying. You may contact us at 866-225-6764 for more details.

• rochelle adams said:

If your GPA is less than 3.0 should you not apply or is it based on certain classes?

• Hi Rochelle, The Admission Committee reviews your cumulative GPA. Please contact an Enrollment Advisor at 866.225.6764 for any questions.

• Ryan said:

Good evening! I’m interested in becoming either an FNP or ACGNP. I wish to apply for the two degrees stated. I currently hold a BSN. I am requesting if there is only one program for both programs and what is the possibility of getting accepted in the program?

• Hi Ryan, we offer a FNP and Adult Nurse Practitioner program online. Please contact an Enrollment Advisor for more details at 866-225-6764.

• Amanda said:

What are your GPA and GRE requirements for admission? What are the upcoming deadlines for Adult NP and Family NP?

• Hi Amanda, we require a minimum GPA of 3.0. We do not require a GRE. Please click here to view the upcoming application deadlines and class start dates. If you have additional questions, please contact an Enrollment Advisor at (866) 225-6764.

• Mary said:

I am currently working in Bermuda. I have multiple entry visa to US. Can I still take the MSc in Nursing Online degree? Thank you.

• Hi Mary, unfortunately you cannot. Due to clinical regulations, only applicants with access to facilities in the 50 United States or U.S. military bases will be considered for admission.

• Arnold said:

I’m interested in the MSN program with specialty in adult nurse practitioner. Hold a BSN degree and presently working in ICU-CCU particularly recovery of post open heart cases since 2004 as a full time employee. Have taken 11 units at our community college with 4.0 grade to gauge myself in the US education system. Need more info for the program?

• Hi Arnold, a designated Enrollment Advisor will give you a call to provide you with additional information about the program. You may also reach out to them at 866-225-6764.

• Gayle said:

My daughter is graduating in Dec with her BSN. She will start work immediately and take the NCLEX at the end of Jan. She wants to start an on line nurse practitioner program in the fall of ’13. She will want to work 2 full 12 hour days and study for her MSN at the same time. Would this be doable with your program?

• Hi Gayle, typically each student spends about 25 -30 hours on course work a week. This allows for 5 days of study if she is working only 2 -12 hour days. I think this is definitely doable in her case. Please contact me for more details at 866-225-6764. Karisma

Comments Feed